Occupational Health and Safety
What is Occupational Health and Safety?
This is a service that is rendered with the ultimate goal to maintain the health and safety of all employees at work
Times and location
Monday – Friday: 07:00 – 16:00 on the 9th floor of the new hospital
Initial Medical Examinations
Done by appointment by the specific departmentThe total amount of persons to be done on the same day.
Exit medical examinations
Done when an employee leaves the services of the hospital to determine the health status at termination of service.
The aim is to monitor the effect of risks employees are exposed to at regular intervals:
- Done through periodic medicals e.g. ETO workers, radiation workers, Foodhandlers, etc.
- Biological monitoring e.g. blood tests, ETO monitoring, etc.
Examinations for medical boarding
- Done by appointment when a person can no longer perform the normal duties required by the specific post.
- A full report, with recommendations is submitted to the relevant departments.
- Notification of all injuries-on-duty must be done at the Occupational Health Department.
- The Hospital only does the paperwork for the GSSC ands ubsequently forwards it to the Johannesburg office.
- Occupational diseases are usually reported after medical surveillance or during the process of immunisation.
- Placements done if necessary.
Done on a regular basis to identify health and safety risks and to ensure health and safety in the workplace.
Control of absenteeism
The EA Group examine all sick certificates and keep record of all absenteeism.
Immunisation against Hepatitis B and flu vaccinations are given to health care workers.
Direct-observed treatment (DOTS)
Any employee treated by Local Government and is arranged with us – medicine given at prescribed times.
Monitoring of chronic diseases
Monitoring of hypertension, etc done by the clinic and referred when necessary.
- Done by the OH&S Department with help from the Nursing Personnel department.
- HIV/AIDS management.
There are two safety committee’s SHER (Safety, Health, Environment) and Risk Management.
- Inspections get done by the trained Hasreps and the Safety Officer.
- Waste Management.
Training for Hasreps and Unit managers regarding safety and health matters.